Sunday, September 14, 2008

Hurricane Ike - the aftermath

You've already seen a few of the photos, here's some of our damage. Of course, it pales in the comparison to the devastation our fellow Texans in Galveston witnessed. The loss of life from refusal to evacuate will be tremendous, I fear. It is only an inability to correctly assess our own mortality that keeps us from making good decisions like leaving a storm damaged area.

Me personally? I have enough food to last for at least a week and a half. I'll be tired of peanut butter and crackers and will probably be willing to kill for a steak, but the experience will deepen my understanding of humanity and his depths. The knowledge I'll gain from this will far outweigh the agony I may suffer. This is the logic I used.

I knew there existed the possibility of damage to my home and accepted it. It turns out there was damage and I've accepted it. While not fun, I can't change it. It would have happened whether I was here or further away.

Since I have stayed, I have family and friends close to me to assist and assist me. As I'm typing this, I'm quite comfortable in a small living room with several couches, fans, an air cooler, a generator, satellite cable on an LCD TV, and DSL internet connection. You see, we also prepared.

I am grateful for the friends I have to share this hurricane fallout with. A best friend of mine for 12 years and the little sister of another of my best friends (of whom I'm going to be best man in his wedding), Cooley & Christen are offering additional support.

I hope you think not of us as lunatics as much as curiosities of the human psyche. What makes a man choose the paths he does which can prove to be a more formidable challenge than taking the easier path with less troubles? I believe these are the things that forge a man. These are the things that bind humanity. These are the horrors that define us.

Cooley has tried to prepare me for the next few weeks as rations run short, food runs out, water becomes scarce, gasoline becomes a hot commodity.... I've heard reports of gas selling at close to $5 a gallon elsewhere in the country. Is that true?

Is anyone listening?


VIDEO: Cooley shows Saturday morning Ike "aftermath" 9:00am

3 comments:

Beaumartian said...

Hey Kev, In regards to your question about gas being $5 a gallon-Yes. We have evacuated to Northern Alabama (Florence) to stay with my grandparents and there is NO GAS UP HERE! They only have supreme and at one spot, it was selling for $4.99 a gallon. We found one spot that had regular gas at 3.39 and topped off there. Its tough being up here while all our friends and neighbors are back dealing with total devastation but we are staying put until things get better. We have small kids and don't want to have to try to manage them on top of being in survival mode. Our prayers are will you all back in Beaumont.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I was just reading your blog via KFDM channel 6. I stayed put during both RITA and this Hurricane IKE...both were just terrible and the aftermath was almost too much to bear. With RITA I sustained damage to my house, and evaucated about 3 days into the unbearing heat that followed almost immediately after the last winds stopped blowing this time.
With IKE, I was with my daughter and ex-husband and his family. The both of us, he and I, watching the TV with Geraldo and the storm's damage in Galveston. The lights didn't go out until about 12:15A or so, and then the possibility of sleeping was just awful.
We evacuated Saturday before the curfew and are now sitting in a hotel room with 9 people (soon to be 10) and a little bitty doggie who likes to get all up in people's faces. LOL
I was watching that video--it looked like you were falling or something--wanted to tell you to be careful of whatever you're doing.
Thanks for keeping us informed. I hope all continues to be as well as can be expected with you.
Take care,
MsShana

Cynthia P said...

I can't call you a lunatic unless I apply the same label to my sister... she's also ridden out the storm in Beaumont with her family, only this time, in better style than with Rita.

Like you, she was prepared with a good generator capable of running a/c and broadband internet access. I presume plenty of food/water!

Wishing you well!

Just wanted you to know that people are looking, listening and sympathizing.

It's been hard for me looking at all the pictures of damage to Beaumont and Houston. Not to mention Crystal Beach and the Bolivar peninsula where we vacationed as children with our parents every summer.

Hang in there!

Oh, on the gas... I tanked up Sunday in hopes of avoiding possible price increases. $3.77/gal for regular here in NE Oregon. That's better than my last tank at $3.85 pre-hurricane so can't complain so far!